August 28, 2011
I’ve just learned Illustrator to work on a graphic and later a site map for a webtext publication I’ve finishing for Computers and Composition Online. I could not for the life of me figure out how to resize the document in AI so I could output/place it as just that size I needed. Finally I had an epiphany. Here’s how I did it!
1. When the AI file is ready to be published, go to FILE – SAVE FOR WEB&DEVICES. Make the appropriate settings adjustments (like leaving transparency intact).
2. Save where you want the file (in my case, it’s inside my DreamWeaver Image library).
3. Open the .gif file (if you save as .jpg, there’s no transparency) in PHOTOSHOP (yep, you could’ve thought of this, too!)
4. Use marquee (m) to choose your size, crop it.
5. Insert it into your publication. All done!